Let's talk about air conditioning service and repair issues. Most of us we don't give our air conditioning a second thought as long as it's making cold air. But it's a complex and expensive system that we should think about before it starts blowing hot air.
The refrigerant in the air conditioner contains a special oil that lubricates and cools the A/C parts. When enough refrigerant leaks out, your air conditioner still makes cold air, but the parts don't have enough oil to protect them and they wear out faster than they should so it's important to service the air conditioner as recommended.
Replacing old refrigerant has another benefit: refrigerant tends to gather moisture and become corrosive. That causes leaks in the system which can be expensive to repair. Fresh refrigerant protects the air conditioning components and keeps the system operating at peak efficiency so it doesn't have to work as hard to keep you cool.
Even with regular service A/C parts can just wear out. Normal wear and tear eventually gets to all moving parts. Addressing early problems can save on more extensive repairs down the road. For instance, a common failure is the clutch that turns the compressor on and off. If you can take care of a bad A/C clutch when it first starts having problems, you may be able to save the compressor. Wait too long and you'll have to replace both.
Check your owner's manual or ask your service advisor for service recommendations. And if you're hearing strange sounds when your air conditioning turns on, or if it just isn't as cold as it used to be, have us give it the once over see what it'll take to keep you cool.
The vehicles we drive today are much more comfortable then even 20 years ago. Today’s generation has come to appreciate nice warm heat and cool air conditioning. In the event it stops working, it can make for a miserable trip.
If you are experiencing any of the following, call Autometrics right away as these are signs there may be an issue with your A/C:
- Improper cooling
- Fan does not start
- There is a musty smell coming from your A/C
Here are some common questions to ask your service advisor:
- When it's hot outside, should I turn the air conditioning on immediately? Or should I roll the windows down and let the car run before engaging the A/C?
- If my A/C system is not cooling properly, can I damage it if I keep using it anyway?
- Is liquid dripping from the bottom of my vehicle normal when using the A/C?
- What is wrong with my A/C if it is emitting a musty smell from the vents?
- I hear a clicking under my hood and the A/C is cooling inconsistently. What is wrong with the system?
- What are the benefits of R-134a refrigerant? Should I switch my older vehicle over from R-12 or Freon refrigerant?
At Autometrics your complete automotive care center in Berkeley, CA we install only quality replacement parts. Give us a call at 510.524.3881 and let us help keep you safely and economically on the road. We serve Berkeley and the surrounding areas.